The main competence of PSP Study Program graduates is the mastery of science, technology development and fisheries resources utilization application. Generally, graduates must master the management principles starting from planning, resources evaluation, utilization/resources extraction, and control of fishing activities are responsible and oriented towards sustainability.
The main competence can be described through three main expertise, are :
- Expertise in the field of exploration, including resource assessment, stock assessment, mapping and geographic information system application for the management of fisheries and marine resources.
- Expertise in the field of exploitation, including sufficient understanding and capability in terms of exploitation/fishing, including materials science, appropriate fishing tools, and be able to innovation and technology engineering.
- Expertise in the field of management, including the ability of fisheries management, fisheries port management, fisheries development and entrepreneurship principles.
Graduates Supporting Competence
To support the main competence that have been established, graduates are required to master supporting competence that designed so that graduates also have flexibility in the types of job in the working world. Graduates supporting competence of PSP Study Program is :
- Capability in the field of fisheries and marine resources conservation.
- Capability in the field of underwater observation for research activities, conservation and nautical tourism.
- Capability in the fishing activities monitoring and controlling.
Understanding of the law, policy and legislation regulation in the field of fisheries.
Other Competencies/Graduates Selection
PSP Study Program graduates emphasized to have another competency as the main competence and supporting competence, that is :
- Understanding of the principles of fishery products quality handling and controlling, especially fisheries, in relation to the economic value of fisheries products.
- Understanding of business economics and fisheries (Entrepreneurship) either industrial scale and entrepreneurial households.
Understanding of the principles of coastal communities empowerment and fisheries resources management and water sustainable.
Note : The understanding of main competence, supporting and other can be seen in Kepmendiknas No. 045/2002.